Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor Day Dinner

Snacked on some dove that my friend "Hermann" shot on Saturday.  He enjoys murdering birds of peace and I'm thankful for it because I can cook them without having a conscience.  I mean, really, they're already dead, and come on, they were asking for it, with their beady little eyes...

Anyway, wrapped them in some bacon with slices of some homemade pickled jalapenos (minced onion, garlic, vinegar, marjoram, thyme, water, salt) and pan fried them in some garlic and onion butter.  Chew lightly for fear of buckshot.


We had that while I had the smoker going, where I put on a few bratwurst from Wenzel's in Hamilton, and a couple of stuffed Cornish hens for me and MLWMG.


I started by brining those bad boys overnight in a mixture of water, salt, brown sugar, parsley stems, lemon rind, bay leaf and black pepper, and then stuffed them full of sliced Czech Stop hot links, parsley, lemon, onion and bay leaf, then smoked them at 250 for about two hours.

They look burned, but they're not.  Black exterior housed incredibly flavored pink poultry, sealing in all moisture while allowing the hickory flavor to penetrate.  No need to eat that skin for flavor, it's all in the meat.


Served it with some Piedmont slaw (see last post for recipe) and some German potato salad.  For the potatoes, boil some russets until fork tender, then peel and dice.  Fry up some chopped bacon until crispy, then add a tablespoon or two of flour, stirring until light brown.  Add some cider vinegar, and a half cup of water, and cook for a few minutes on high after bringing to a boil to thicken a little, stirring the whole time.   I think I added a little caraway at that time, but if you don't have it, that's alright.  Then add the potatoes back to it, as well as some sliced onion and chopped parsley, and stir over high heat for a minute or two to break down the starch and make it nice and creamy.  It was my best batch of GPS yet, and you'll enjoy it.

Especially with a sausage stuffed bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment