Saturday, May 7, 2011

Perla's - Austin, TX

I love this place.

Great seafood.  Great raw bar.  Great bar.  Great cocktails.  Great outdoor seating.  Great place for dinner.

Now, with a thesaurus...

Great seafood.  Splendiferous raw bar.  Swell bar.  Hunky-dory cocktails.  Marvelous outdoor seating.  Fabulous place for dinner.


In the second half of 2010 (2H2010 for you corporate folks) when I was commuting to Austin weekly and staying with friends down off of South Congress, I frequented this place for dinner quite a bit whenever I was feeling like seafood or a relatively healthy meal.  Also, it's a fantastic place to have a solo dinner, with a spacious bar, knowledgeable bartenders, and other solo diners sitting at the bar ready to have a conversation.

The menu is huge, comprised almost entirely of seafood, split up into sections for the raw bar, which features no less than twelve different types of oysters on the half shell, appetizers, salads and soups, simple a la carte fish, seafood and non-seafood plates, sandwiches, and sides.  The bartenders and waiters can tell you anything and everything about everything on the menu, and can help to get you the right meal for you.

My Lovely Wife Mrs. Gordo and I hit up Perla's for an early dinner last night for some drinks and some food to share, which is a great way to experience this place as it allows you to try several things.  We arrived right around 5:30pm, which was clearly too late to get a table outside on this fantastic day, but in time to get $0.50 off oysters (each one) and some discounted drinks at their happy hour.  I'd say there are twenty or more tables outside underneath the shade of awnings and a massive oak, and in addition is an outdoor "bar" to sit at, not an actual bar but a long, skinny concrete table which is perfect for bellying up, be you flying solo or on a date.  So with the outside packed, we found two spots at the bar inside, which is my favorite place to sit for a meal here.

We started with some oysters on the half shell, and after talking with the bartender about the various oysters on the menu, decided on the Salutation Cove Oysters from Prince Edward Island.  Shucked at the bar and served on a bed of crushed ice with a couple of lemon wedges, these were medium sized, slightly briny though not as salty as those from the northeast, and very good.  They serve them with sides of cocktail sauce, horseradish, and vinegar/onion mignonette, all perfect complements and perfect acidity to cut through the oysters.


From the oysters we moved on to the Salt and Jalapeno Pepper Fried Calamari with Green Sauce and Marinara, which is one of the better renditions of fried calamari I've had.  Not greasy at all, the rings and tentacles come out dry and crispy on the outside, plump and perfectly tender on the inside, and are mixed together with fried strips of mild peppers and okra.  Both sauces are excellent, with the green sauce being a simple, smooth and creamy salsa verde with an adequate amount of heat, and the marinara being homemade with chunks of tomato and onion, served warm.


Our raw and deep fried boxes checked, we moved over to the Fresh & Simple Market Seafood section and debated between the steamed North Atlantic halibut, the pan roasted Texas coast grouper, and halibut cheeks, which were littered amongst eight to ten other simply prepared fish selections.  Just for the halibut, we went for the halibut cheeks with a side of potato griddle cakes.

Let me start with the griddle cakes.  These things are fantastic.  Very thinly shredded potatoes, presumably with egg, cream, and mild seasoning, formed into one inch thick patties and fried before being topped with sour cream and chives.  Crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside with just a hint of tooth from the potatoes.  I strongly recommend this as a side to whatever you're having.



On to the halibut, and first an educations.  These beauties are halibut cheeks:


They cut them out of this ugly sucker, pan roast these delicate morsels, resulting in a paper-thin, lightly browned and crispy crust, and a tender, mildly flavored, and incredibly delicate interior.  With these simple preparations, you get a broiled lemon for squeezing, an herbed breadcrumb stuffed roma tomato, and a choice of garlic drawn butter, salsa verde, red chimichurri or homemade tartar as a sauce.  I highly recommend the red chimichurri, a take on the standard South American condiment based on oil, herbs and garlic, with this one adding what tasted like oven dried tomatoes, lending a great sweetness to the dish.  It's incredible, and a perfect sauce for the fish, though it can stand on its own just fine.


As I have a tendency to do, I'm going to digress.  I've had fat cheeks my whole life.  Growing up I was sent to the principal's office on more than one occasion for dipping in class, which I wasn't.  I've been asked by cigar store employees what brand I'm chewing, which I also wasn't.  But my favorite story comes after a late night of drinking, and a even later night of food poisoning.  We had this tiny diner that we'd go to after the bars in school called the Pitt Grill, next to the Days Inn (that reminds me, what does La Quinta mean in English?  mull it over, we'll get back to it), which was run by a massive and generally angry lady who would let us get behind the counter and do what we pleased with the griddle, the stove, the deep fryer and the toaster, leading us to some awesome late night meals and second degree burns before turning in for the night.  On one such occasion they had just gotten in a batch of spoiled eggs, which we only found out a few hours later when my roommate and I both woke up in cold sweats with our bodies doing everything in their power to expel the tainted goods.  After spending most of the night on the bathroom floor waiting for the health center to open up, we finally made it over to see the doctor.  While my roommate vomited continuously in the waiting area, I went in to see the doctor, an old army doctor who must of at some point taken some shrapnel to the head, and explained what happened, citing specifically the undercooked and underrefrigerated eggs, my symptoms as well as my roommates, and that I've had food poisoning before.  After a careful study of my body and head, this genius put his hand to his chin and this thinking cap on, thought about it for two or three minutes before informing me that nope, I didn't have food poisoning, I had a full on case of the mumps.

"Are you kidding me?" I asked.  "Why the hell do you think I have the mumps?  My roommate ate the same thing as me last night and is out in the hall vomiting right now."

His answer was simple.  "Your cheeks have very serious swelling."

(I digress from my digression here.  Answer:  nexttodennys.  YEAH!  I'll be here all week, folks.)

Anyway I asked for a mirror, took a look at him, and informed him that's how I looked every morning when I wake up and look in the mirror, but he didn't believe me and asked if he could call my roommate in from the hallway to attest, which he did.  As soon as he asked the question about my cheeks, my roommate looked at me as if to say, "is this guy for real", then vomited in the trash can he brought in with him from the hallway, then said "yeah, his cheeks look like that all the time", and then vomited again.

What could the doctor do at that point but offer a second opinion?  "OK, you have food poisoning."

Thanks.  True story.  Don't get me started on health care overhaul.

Anyway, all that said, here's my best halibut impression.


Did that ruin your day?

Summary

Atmosphere:  casual/trendy fish house and raw bar, great bar to sit at, great cocktails, great people watching, great if you're flying solo, fantastic outdoor seating and lots of it, outdoor "bar" to sit at, great place for a date, great place for a group

Food:  seafood, some of the very best in town

Dog Friendly:  indeed

When to Go:  happy hour, dinner

Crowd:  businessmen, 20somethings, 30somethings, tourists, hotchicks, groups of girls, groups of guys, groups of girls and guys, scantily clads, solo diners, seafood lovers

What to Order for the First Timer:  oysters on the half shell, whatever pan roasted white fish they have with red chimichurri, griddle cakes

No comments:

Post a Comment