Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Lambert's - Austin, TX

I'm normally a happy hour guy here, because it's one of the best deals in Austin, but on Friday, a friend of mine was in town so we ventured over there shortly after the happy hour for a dinner off the regular menu, which thinking back on, I've never done.   

We started with the roasted green chile queso while we perused the menu, and while it was good, it congealed quickly and became almost paste-like.  While that may cause problems with your average tortilla chip, not here.  Theirs are thick and deep fried, and have a great crunch as well as the necessary strength to cut the cheese, just like me.  Despite its moniker, there wasn't a lot of flavor in the queso outside of the cheese, and virtually no heat.  Not terrible, but not great, and probably not something I'll order again given other appetizer, salad and side choices.

For the meal, I opted to go from the wood-grilled section of the menu instead of the barbecue side, and went with the bone-in Niman Ranch Pork Chop, coincidently one of the cheaper options on the grilled side at $26.  At least you get some mashed potatoes and vegetables with it, though that didn't stop us from going a la carte on family sides, splitting the brussels sprouts and the macaroni and cheese.

The pork chop was very good, not great.  The glaze on it was a little sweet for my taste, though it was cooked perfectly, was very juicy, and was given a nice crust on the fatty portions.  While I like something sweet on the side with pork, such as applesauce or something along those lines, I prefer my pork chops a bit more savory.  To each his own.  They certainly know how to cook.


The Brussels sprouts were the real winner at the table.  Roasted with bacon and drizzled with brown butter these things were perfect.  Sometimes the pungent taste of these sprouts can be overpowering, but not here.  They were cooked to the point of ultimate tenderness while still maintaining their integrity, which really mellowed the flavor, which was cut further by the nutty brown butter they were served in.  While basic, simple, and somewhat common, this is one of the better preparations of Brussels sprouts I've had.


Macaroni and Cheese was very good, and like the queso, thick and paste-like after a few minutes.  Not much to report other than the flavor was very rich, and very good.

Not one of my better trips to Lambert's but this is still an incredible place that I'll be back to again and again, primarily for the happy hour.  I don't think any less of it after this, I just learned a bit about what to order.  Great atmosphere, as usual, and I'll defer to my prior post on Lambert's for an overview of it.

http://thefatartery.blogspot.com/2011/04/lamberts-austin-tx.html

I will however, mention that a few weeks ago I was fortunate to be able to see one of my favorite artists there are the upstairs bar, which is a great small venue to see a show if you get the chance.  Mishka.  If you don't know him, get to.


Summary


Atmosphere: understated classy, Austin, two bars with plenty of seating, concerts at the upstairs bar, good for a nice dinner, great for happy hour, good for groups, good for a date, good for shooting the shit with strangers, good if you're flying solo, outdoor seating

Food: upscale barbecue and grilled meats

Dog Friendly: maybe outside

When to Go: happy hour, dinner, lunch

Crowd: locals, regulars, out of towners, groups, families, couples, hotchicks

What to Order for the First Timer: barbecue plate, green chile cheese grits, Brussels sprouts

1 comment: