Saturday, March 17, 2012

JMueller's BBQ - Austin, TX

The apple fell 37.7 miles from the tree, which given the 24,900 mile circumference of the the blue planet, equates to 0.1526% of the farthest it could have fallen.  

THAT, my friends,

is called a rounding error.

He done good.


Backstory:  trailer off South First opened by a member of the legendary Mueller family out of Taylor, the pioneers and operators of my second favorite barbecue joint in the state (technically, it bounces between one and two but its sitting at two now, not because of a subpar experience, but because my last meal was at number one)

Anyway, this place is G - O - O - D FANTASTIC.



Notice the handwritten menus with items crossed out.  That was at 12:30, so get there early.

Here's how I ordered.

"Give me a little of everything you've got left, some chipotle cole slaw, some cheese, a jalapeno, and some potato salad."

And here is what I received:


Brisket.

BAM!

Pork ribs.

BAM!

Sausage.

BAM!

Beef Rib.

HOT DAMN!!!

Winner winner chicken dinner.  Axe the bird and fly with the cow.  

So, I don't want to ruin how good this was with words, so I'll be brief.

Get the beef rib.  Period.

It's incredible.  Thick, coarse ground salt and pepper crust makes for an incredible bark, while the bone and the fat inside keep the meat as tender as it could possibly be.  My brisket was comparable, I lucked out and got the fatty cuts, which I prefer, but if you're going to go one or the other, my guess is the beef rib is going to have more consistency.  Do NOT, under any circumstance order your brisket lean.  Here or anywhere.

Pearl of wisdom coming....wait for it.......wait for it............



Life's too short for lean meats and light beer.



Pork ribs are great, sausage also good.  Do yourself a favor and get a chunk of cheddar cheese and some saltines and make yourself a little sausage cheese appetizer.

Sides were great, but come for the meat.  They give you sauce, but just think of it as a "thank you for dining with us" after dinner mint type thing.  Not that it's bad, it's not, but it isn't what this barbecue is about.

I'd be hard pressed to find better barbecue.


Summary

Atmosphere:  food truck with a bigolesmoker out back, plenty of outdoor seating some with umbrellas for shade, great for lunch on a nice day, great for bbq any day

Food:  Texas barbecue

Dog Friendly:  yep

Crowd:  country folk, hipsters, business casual crowd, students, you name it they're there

When to Go:  lunch, get there early

What to Order:  beef rib (short rib)

3 comments:

  1. Ditto for me on the beef ribs. Wow!!!!! Everything else was damn good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. completely agree on your take on the BBQ! The beef ribs, beef sausage, brisket, pork ribs were all definitely some of the very best I've had. The prime rib was sooooooo goood ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. is there some back story as to why J Mueller didn't stay with brother Wayne in Taylor, or is this just a second Mueller location?
    I was at Louie Mueller's last week and, man, I can still taste that delicious peppery meat. I mean, whoa! Wow! Amazing!
    If you don't mind I'm going to link to your blog so my readers can get a feeling for what I will write in my review.
    Thanks
    C.J.
    www.NocoBBQ.com

    ReplyDelete