Saturday, August 11, 2012

Healthy Dinner...Kind Of...

Blackened Grouper with Pepperjack Grits



There once was a great man...a fat man...named Paul who perfected blackening seasoning.  Who am I to try to best him.  I rubbed some grouper that My Lovely Wife Mrs. Gordo's Brother (MLWMGB) caught last week with Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish seasoning, then painted it with melted butter and seared the shit out of it in a skillet, finishing it off in the pan in the oven for about ten minutes.

For the grits, start with some butter and a chopped up jalapeño and some chopped onion.  Get that going in a pot, then add one cup of grits, two cups of milk, some salt and some white pepper, and cook as instructed by the almighty cardboard box.  While that's going, grate 1/3 to 1/2 cup of pepperjack cheese (I used some made with Hatch chiles) and after the grits are done, stir that in and serve.

The red stuff there?  That's just a dusting of cayenne.  Not necessary, but adds a little bit different heat to the dish and makes it look like I know what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment