Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Lily's Sandwich - Austin, TX

Since I was already up in Chinatown to try the sandwiches at Baguette House (http://thefatartery.blogspot.com/2011/12/baguette-house-austin-tx.html), I decided to pop into another sandwich shop recommended to me by a little Vietnamese guy for a frame of reference by which to judge the wonderful sandwiches I'd just had.

Lily's Sandwiches got the nod.  Located in the same 21st century slice of China in north Austin...


...Lily's was more along the lines of what I expected of an authentic Vietnamese sandwich shop, the kind of place that makes any white man pause, take a deep breath, and wonder if this is the right decision before opening the door to a great unknown.  Also in-line shop space, this one remains a mystery until that door opens because of the opaqueness of the windows, painted with all sorts of writing and pictures not understandable to anyone not fluent in the language.

As the door opens, the mystery continues when a fish/dried shrimp smell hits you in the face at the same time you see the disposable tin of eggrolls in front of the counter for you to take for a buck.  Given the smell, I'm not sure I'd eat there, and I was getting my sandwich to go anyway, and I opted for the grilled pork sandwich.  Similar in look to the one at Baguette House, the bread was more along the lines of what I'd expect from a store bought baguette, good, but a bit chewy for a sandwich, and tougher to eat.  Ingredients were largely the same...cilantro, jalapeno, carrots, onion, but this place used some sort of brown sauce, which was good, but overall couldn't compare to the feel and flavors of Baguette House.



If you're making the drive, bypass this one and go around the corner where you'll feel better and won't be disappointed.

Summary

Atmosphere:  authentic, a little smelly, a little dirty, limited seating, good for take-away

Food:  Vietnamese sandwiches

Crowd:  real Vietnamese people

Dog Friendly:  only if you want them cooked

When to Go:  lunch

What to Order for the First Timer:  Baguette House


No comments:

Post a Comment