Thursday, August 18, 2011

Serrano's - Austin, TX

Press play and continue on...


































Yeah, Google Serranos and this is the first image that comes up.  Relation to the chile or restaurant?  I have no idea.

Now, I did find myself fascinated by this not-so-Mike-and-Carol family upon seeing this.  A true pioneer, sometime in the late 60s, this not-Mike managed to piece together a little slice of Mexico, an FLDS third-wife, a scary little future serial killer, and enough butterfly collars and bad haircuts to fill his little California bungalow and make a pitch to the networks.

Thankfully, ABC didn't pick it up.

And thankfully, these people weren't at Serrano's on Red River when I went there for fajitas on Tuesday night.

There was however, a drunk man in his 60s that sat down next to me who, after offering the bartender extra money to make his margarita not sweet, asked me if I wanted to share enchiladas with him, to which I politely declined indicating that I had already ordered.

Ok, let's back up a minute.  Found myself craving some fajitas the other night, and after driving by the packed parking lot at Polvo's, decided I'd try somewhere I hadn't been before.  Advertising itself as the home of Mesquite Grilled Fajitas, I decided to give Serrano's a shot, despite a misguided preconceived notion that this place was run-of-the-mill and probably not very good.  Now I've driven by the downtown location countless times, and always chalked it up as being one of those cool little spots with average food, that likely gets visitors more than locals, and might be a good spot for a bite and some margaritas, but not a place someone looking for great food would go.


Despite the downtown location, I was able to park right out front, and after helping a group of six ladies to understand that the reason the parking meter wasn't working was because it shut off two hours earlier, I ambled up the Austin stacked stone stairway, across the "amphitheater", where the Brady's or not-so-Brady's could play if the every did come, to the bar, where I ordered a margarita, chips and queso, and beef fajitas.

This is actually a cool little spot, which, on a day that's not 105 would be a nice setting to sit outside, particularly if they filled the little stone stage along the creek that flows through the place with mariachis.


So as I mentioned, I started with the chips and queso, which came out quickly and hot, thankfully, as it's congealation factor was an eight on the standard ten point scale.  Not spicy, but flavorful and creamy, this was a perfect starter, but the real winner was the salsa.  Red and chunky, almost a blend between fresh pico and standard salsa, it carried some serious heat, which I welcomed, and was also cool and refreshing.


I can't speak for the rest of the food there, but the fajitas hit the spot.  Upon their arrival, I was disappointed that, though served on an iron platter, they weren't sizzling, there was just a lone serrano pepper, and the onions looked raw, lacking that caramelization and continued cooking that I love so much.  The beef itself was lukewarm, and cooked medium to medium-well, but had great flavor.  Not so much the flavor of the heavily seasoned Polvo's meat, but more along the lines of the nice grill-flavored Habanero Cafe cuts.  Tortillas were clearly homemade, thin flour tortillas that were nearly see through and which were easily the hottest thing on the plate, which did well in transferring the refried beans, beef, onions, sour cream and pico de gallo from the plate to my mouth.  All in all, these were very good, including the onions, and the place gets bonus points for being and easy-in, easy-out fajita fix.


Nothing to write home about on the sides, standard rice, which I had a bite of but no more, and pureed refried pintos, carrying an oxygen-affected crust on the top.

Summary

Atmosphere:  old Austin, ample outdoor seating in a cool old setting, bar, good place to meet for a drink and a bite, good place for a group, decent place to sit and have a solo meal

Food:  Tex-Mex

Crowd:  drunk old man, family who demanded the Food Network be turned on minutes before leaving, couples, and families

Dog Friendly:  yes

Best Time to Go:  dinner on a cool night

What to Order for the First Timer:  beef fajitas

No comments:

Post a Comment