Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Delaware Sub Shop - Austin, TX

Delaware:    The First State

Delaware:    No Sales Tax

Delaware:    No Bologna Here


I'm not sure they're really as tough as their slogan would have you believe, nor do I think that "No Bologna Here" is necessarily as large of a selling point as they think it is.  It's more of a "look over here" trick to hide the fact that they use cheap Hormel meats to build their sandwiches.  That said, this is a good spot for a quick sandwich fix along the lines of a Thundercloud Subs...i.e. a step up but in the same genre as Subway, Blimpie or Jersey Mikes.  At least this place is an independent, despite the TM, and makes a good sandwich for a decent price.

Non-desrcript sandwich shop with, get this, ample parking, up near the medical district in Austin, this place has good, made to order sandwiches, and does a good job of wrapping the condiments in the meat to give you a good solid sub with no leakage.  Not a bad place to grab a quick bite with a friend or hit up for a quick lunch alone, which is where I found myself today when I got a craving for an Italian sub.  Bring a date here, and it'll be your last.


I took this picture from the back of my rental Chevy Silverado 1500LS FlexFuel QuadCab pickup truck which the good folks at Enterprise lent me after my truck was destroyed by softball sized hail a month ago.

Anyway, the sandwich.  I opted for the Italian Gourmet Prosciutto with the addition of sweet and hot peppers, which I recommend.  Mostly a thinly-sliced ham-based sandwich, the 7" was good sized and filling, and I had the added bonus of them having Sunkist on tap and Miss Vickie's chips.


As I mentioned, they roll the condiments in the meat, which I like, with a basic red wine vinegar and oil dressing, lettuce, tomato, onions and pickles.  I'd go ahead and add the peppers for a bit of flavor and punch, but I'd axe the pickles next time as they're the soggy Kroger brand dill variety, whereas I feel a sandwich of this caliber, with certain expectations to uphold, deserves something more along the lines of a Claussen.  But, then again, it's a profit deal and fits with the Hormel.  Now, you can order just an Italian Gourmet by itself, and the prosciutto is an upcharge, but I'm not sure is worth it, as we're not talking about a cured prosciutto of the salty/sweet variety, but rather Hormel (did I mention they're the supplier?) version of such, which is more of just a run of the mill ham with a little bit more flavor than their basic.  The salami on it is barely discernible, and the sandwich seems mostly like a ham sandwich, but the lettuce is crisp, the peppers are flavorful, and the vinegar adds the necessary tang.


Alright, enough bashing, I did like this sandwich and will likely be back, but when I'm really craving an Italian sub and have a little time, I'll head back over to Home Slice, who's bread, meats, condiments and density kill anything I've had in town.  I'll also be back to try the cheesesteak, which I'm hoping is good despite the "cheesesteak" deli meat in the front case which boldly advertises choice cuts mixed with water and presesrvatives and then molded back to a meat structure.

My advice, ditch the meat case.

Summary

Atmosphere:  no frills, quick sandwich, Subway-like shop, decent for grabbing a quick sandwich

Food:  subs and cheesesteaks

Dog Friendly:  no

Crowd:  pasty white people

Time to Go:  lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment