Friday, February 25, 2011

Bubba's BBQ - Charlotte, NC

I'll stick with Charlotte for a minute since I ventured that way, and will move on to another bbq place I like to hit while I'm there, Bubba's.

This place is nothing to look at from the outside, it looks like a converted fast food restaurant and very well may be.  That's a good indication of the atmosphere inside too, which is one big room as bland as can be with the feel of a Kiwanis Club dining hall where you're more likely to be playing bingo than eating quality bbq.  Actually, I'd say the best part of the atmosphere is the smell, followed by a urinal that they've got about six feet up on the wall in the men's room.  Can't for the life of me remember why it's up there, but it is.

Anyway, B-7, that's where my knocking of this place ends because I love to go here for a good basic bbq dinner.  Unlike some of the other spots I like to hit where I focus on the meat, this one is about the whole meal, and the sauce.  O-62.  My go to here is a standard barbecue plate, which is pork, hush puppies, and sides, of which I recommend brunswick stew and cole slaw.


The pork here is of the chopped variety, though not so fine as to become mushy or mealy.  Also, given the lack of any visible bark I would guess this pig was smoked as a whole hog, which is traditional of eastern Carolina bbq.  The result is a mild smoke flavor and very, very tender meat, which requires the addition of some eastern Carolina vinegar sauce to truly make it shine.  The sauce here is is a vinegar incorporating what appears to be cayenne, which adds great flavor and punch to the meat.  Very good, simple, barbecue.  G-47.

The sides here are also really good.  Hushpuppies come to the table on the house with whatever you order, and they are perfect, brown and crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.  The sides here are either really good, or really ordinary.  I love the cole slaw, which has a pungent kick provided by a mustard base, and it pairs really well with the pork.  I-22.  The brunswick stew is also very good.

I've tried some other things here, and won't give up on more of the menu items, as I think they do really well on certain things, and really terrible on some others.  I tried the ribs on a recent trip, and wouldn't order them again.  Little flavor and not that tender, was a true disappointment.  That said, N-37, this place is a great stop for classic eastern bbq when you're in Charlotte, and gets my recommendation.

Bingo.

Summary:

Atmosphere:  bland, dining hall

Food:  classic eastern Carolina bbq

Dog Friendly:  nope

Crowd:  locals, groups

When to Go:  lunch or dinner

What to Order for the First Timer:  barbecue plate with cole slaw and brunswick stew

No comments:

Post a Comment