Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Haddington's - Austin, TX

Alright, this is one of my favorite new spots in Austin, having just opened up in the West 6th district by the same guys who did Mulberry.  This is a really nice English pub with upscale food that for the most part is really, really good.  This is a good spot to go with friends, or to belly up the bar sololike.  The bartenders are awesome, and love to create stuff even off menu.  Tiffany is particularly good, and can take you through the genesis of the American cocktail, from Old-Fashioned to Sazerac and well beyond.  Great beers on tap and by the bottle, which are switched up pretty regularly.  The beer menu though is somewhat limited and expensive, and you won't find any of your go-to crappy domestic light beers on there (which I view as a positive, but I don't discriminate against those who like them, and I'd like to be able to go there with my friends who drink them almost exclusively).  I subscribe to a motto I came up with a while back, life is too short for light beer.

Alright, so, there are two bars in this place, both good to saddle up to.  Sitting up there with you, or me, or whoever it is who is there, is a mix of people waiting for tables, a few people getting together for some drinks, and solo drinker/diners, most of whom are easy to strike up a conversation with, and who will do so with you, and probably won't take it personally if you're an introvert and don't engage.  That said, I've sampled some good food that I didn't order by sitting next to and talking with some of the patrons.

I should also note that on the weekends you may want to call for a reservation, as it gets booked up and they take them.  I would rather see it first come first serve with list, as it keeps with the pub atmosphere vs. restaurant, but it's not that big of a deal, as you can usually get a spot or two at the bar as people roll off to the four and six tops.

Alright, on to the food.  I've been there several times now, so will try to recap what I've had by my visit.

First trip.  Went with a couple friends and tried several of the appetizers to start, which for the most part were fantastic.  The Scotch eggs will lure anyone, and are right up my alley, but I think there are better picks.  That said, if you've never had a sausage wrapped breaded and deep fried quail egg, give it a shot. I'd opt instead (if not with) for the foie gras link, which is basically a high-quality hot dog made with a mix of foie and pork, topped with some caramelized onions (if I recall correctly) on a homemade bun. Also fantastic are their toast points, which they'll serve with a choice of duck liver mousse (which I recommend), a pork rillette (basically a cold, coarse chopped pate), and a couple of others, which I haven't had but don't contain pig or organs so I bypassed them.  So we did the duck liver on this one, and ordered some more of it afterwards.  On to the meal, I had the duck meatloaf, which appears to be a staple on the periodically changing menu.  It was awesome.  Served with a mashed something or other that was not quite potato and I don't think turnip, but which was better than most mashed food you'll ever get.  The portion was right sized for a normal meal, leaving you wanting a little more, but certainly not uncomfortably full.  I tried their cask ale to drink with dinner, which I thought was great but might not be for everyone.  Think of a thicker, chocolatier, coffeeer Guinness and you've got it.  Started the evening though with a duck fat infused Sazerac, a great mixture of duck, rye and absinthe.  These are a three of my favorite things.

Second trip.  Foggy.  Went there late.  Only had beer.  Then liquor.  Don't really remember leaving all that well.  Must have been fantastic.

Third trip.  Went with a couple of buddies and commandeered some spots at the bar and adjacent high tops.  Started with the foie gras links and then we all had a special sandwich of the day, which was a pulled pork reuben of sorts.   It was good, not great, and lacked a little tang that you expect from kraut (this was slaw instead if I remember right) and could have used a little more spice or seasoning.  Not bad.  They had just gotten a keg of Saison Dupont in, so had a whole lot of that.  I remember leaving on this trip.

Fourth trip.  Solo.  Wanted a quick bite, but wasn't super hungry, so I went in and had a whiskey drink followed by a glass of wine, Rhone I believe, and got the toast points with duck liver and a bowl of their stew of the day, which was veal and sausage stew, which was awesome and which I'd ask for extra toast points to sop it up.   I think this is the most economical way to satisfy thirst and drink here.  $3 for the toast/duck and $10 for the stew.  Gets you almost full but doesn't break the bank.

Fifth trip.  Hold please, I'm tired of recapping the same place.  Will come back to visits five, six and seven another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment