Thursday, February 24, 2011

Firehouse BBQ - Lampasas, TX

My final stop on the Dallas to Austin western drive, Firehouse BBQ in Lampasas.  Wow, was I full by the time I pulled in this place, having stopped and eaten at three different places already on the drive.  I nearly didn't stop, but decided to anyway, thinking I'd just get a bite of each of the big three.


This place had a good country bbq atmosphere, but not quite the charm of the last two stops in Hamilton.  A bit bigger and a bit newer, I knew this place couldn't hold a candle to Lazy T's.  Because of the time of day, I was the only person there, but not the fattest person there.  Once again, I sampled the pork ribs, the brisket, and the sausage.

Upon walking in, you're presented with a counter, behind which are a couple of cutting boards.  I was happy not to see the cafeteria style presentation that Lazy T's had (which was deceiving given the quality of that place), leaving to the imagination the idea that the meat was coming straight from the pit to my plate.  The brisket and ribs both had good flavor, but lacked the crust that I love on both.  Instead the outside of this meat had a jerky like texture, which had good flavor, but in the case of the ribs created a bit of a chewy texture.  The brisket was lean, cut from the flat, and though not dry benefited from a little sauce to help with chewing and to grease the pipes.  Flavor was there, and I'm sure a brisket connoisseur would be very happy with it.  I'm more partial to a fattier cut with a good crust, so while this was good, it wasn't for me.  The sausage was of the good German coarse grind but machine packed variety, with good fat content and good flavor, but nothing above the ordinary good quality sausage you get at other stops.  A great thing to order here along with the brisket, but not worth making a special stop for.

Sauce is self service from three heated buckets with ladles, two spicy sauces and one sweet sauce, both good complements to the meat.  The other nice thing about this place was that they make their own hot sauces, three of which are on the tables.  There's a habanero sauce, a hot pepper sauce, and one other that I can't remember.  In any case, my recommendation would be to bypass all including the bbq sauces, and eat the meat with the habanero sauce, which outshined all the rest.

This place is worth a stop if you're in the area, and it's a good place to stop and have a meal if you're not headed on to Hamilton.

Summary:

Atmosphere:  country Texas bbq, with outdoor seating

Food:  good, solid bbq

Dog Friendly:  uh huh

Crowd:  no one there but me so can't say

What to Order for First Timers:  Brisket if you're a fan, and sausage

No comments:

Post a Comment