Saturday, February 26, 2011

Screaming Goat - Austin, TX

First off, full disclosure, this is my go to breakfast taco spot.  It's just a short walk from my house, which makes it the most convenient option, but it also has really great breakfast tacos and a mean tomatillo salsa with a kick.  I've also only been there for breakfast, so my review is purely that.  I'd like to try it for lunch, but honestly probably wouldn't hit it up for happy hour or dinner, as the atmosphere is more conducive to a quick breakfast or lunch.  That said, I LOVE this place for breakfast tacos, there or at home.


Went there again this morning to pick up breakfast tacos for me and MLWMG.  I had my go to combinations.  One chorizo egg...oh wait...

OK, now then.  One chorizo egg and one bacon, bean and egg.  Mandy opted for a bacon and egg and a Clint.

So these things basically run $1.60, but they are packed, and dense.  One and a half is perfect for a normal human being, but two is doable, but you won't need a big lunch.  They do these right, mixing all of the ingredients instead of adding them one at a time to the tortilla.  The chorizo has awesome flavor, the bacon is crumbled and flavorful, and the beans are pinto and smoky.  I'm not going to tell you what to get for breakfast at a place where everything is good, so choose your poison, but make sure to get it with their roasted tomatillo salsa, a homemade green salsa with a tartness and heat that'll smack you in the face and wake you up.  Enjoy.

Summary:

Atmosphere:  in an old house with tables in each room, good for meeting for breakfast or lunch, but not necessarily a place to make an evening out of.

Food:  tacos, burritos, flautas, and burgers

When to Go:  breakfast

Dog Friendly:  no

Crowd:  students, working stiffs, 20somethings, and people with hangovers

What to Order for the First Timer:  whatever kind of breakfast taco you like, with tomatillo salsa

No comments:

Post a Comment