Thursday, February 24, 2011

Dreamland BBQ - Tuscaloosa, AL

Alright, this is going to be my first post in response to a friend of mine getting ready for some business travel, so I'm reaching waaaay back in my bag to get him to the right spot.  He, like me, is a huge fan of BBQ, and also like me, tries to hit a good spot whenever and wherever he's traveling.  So he emailed me two days ago saying he had to go to Birmingham, Alabama, and did I know of a good place to go.

Yes I do.

Now, I haven't been to the one in Birmingham, and I know it isn't the first one, because I've been to the first one, in Tuscaloosa.  Now I've heard rumors that this place has been grandfathered in to current health standards because it's been around forever, and based on my experience I believe it.  The BBQ was good, and the atmosphere was great, so John, I wish you the best of luck with the Birmingham outlet.

Remember back to the fall of 1998.  Three college idiots in Dallas decide to spend their Fall Break by heading to Alabama for the NASCAR race at Talledega, to spend three nights there in a grass field along the interstate to listen to Skynard, drink Busch Light, and root my favorite driver at the time, Dale Jarrett, to a victory.  On the way there we called my dad, noted BBQ nut, and one with a database at that.  Asked him where we might stop along the way and without hesitation he gave us turn by turn directions to this place, on dusty unmarked country road...


I'm remembering back here, but here's what I recall.  The place was black with smoke inside, and the ceiling wasn't much more than a foot or two above my head.  Place was barely lit, but you could see the fire in the back on which were slabs and slabs of ribs, getting a final char before heading to the tables.  It was me, who was skinnier back then, a friend of mine who I'm guessing weighed in right around two bills, and another friend of mine who probably pushed 230 at the time.  We were seated by a nice African-American woman who seemed to lack all cordial skills.  After seating us, here's how it went, and this I remember really well...

Miss Congeniality:  "You look like a slab.  You look like a half slab.  And you look like a half slab."  before turning to walk away.

One of Us:  "Wait, do you have a menu, what else is there besides ribs?"

Miss Congeniality, with a death stare:  "Rib tips.  I'll be right back."

She showed up shortly thereafter with one paper plate stacked high with two slabs of ribs, and a paper plate with a stack of white bread equal height.  Easy math.  I apologize I don't have my pictures from the place anymore, but here is a picture from the web and our ribs looked just like it, though our stack of bread was higher, I guess because we were fatter...


So these are Alabama wet mop ribs, with a tangy/spicy Alabama sauce on them.  I remember they had some teeth to them, like they were somewhat quick smoked, and had a crust on them that suggested that same thing, plus they may have been finished on a grill to give them a good char flavor on the initial bite.  Down and dirty, worth the trip if you're in the area.

Summary:

Atmosphere:  old, smoky, bar-like

Food:  ribs

Dog Friendly:  seriously, seriously doubt it

Crowd:  locals, bikers, truckers

What to Order as a First Timer:  guess

1 comment:

  1. Having visited the Birmingham location on the way to a brick plant, I have this to add. By locating in the city and near a university the menu had to be expanded and the facility upgraded. No doubt it was a model for their expansion. While it was good, we were looking for more: more history, more atmosphere, and more smoke. Joe, Charlie, and I voted the half chicken better than the ribs. Is that possible?

    ReplyDelete