Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ranch House Barbecue - Glen Rose, TX

Taking a break from Austin for a bit and thought I'd recap my trip from Dallas to Austin last week, on which I took the long way and made it even longer by stopping seven times, four to eat, two for history, and one for shopping (for meat).

After months of traveling back and forth to Austin along the always boring and crappy I-35, I finally decided to take a longer and more scenic way last week, with a goal to find great spots to eat on the way.  I did a little research using my typical tools...Full Custom Gospel BBQ Blog, Texas Monthly, Roadfood, and the Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook.  Ready to go.  US67 out of Dallas, connecting to 281 via 220 in Hico, down through Hamilton before veering southeast on US183 in Lampasas, putting us into Austin...on this particular trip seven hours later (normally would take less than four with no stops)...

First stop, by default, was Ranch House Barbecue in Glen Rose, about an hour outside of Dallas.  My intention was to hit up two spots in Glen Rose, which I'd read about and which are supposed to be legit, Hammonds and the Lazy Coyote, both were closed for the day.  Knowing how to spot decent places on the road, I backtracked and pulled into Ranch House, which was surrounded by pick-up trucks, most with brushguards, and had people parking in the grass overflow area.  I had Nicki with me, so was glad to see some tables outside in the grass.  I could give her a break from the back of the car, give her some fresh air and room to stretch her legs, and then just cross my fingers that she didn't sh*t next to the people at adjacent tables.  She didn't.

Left her in the car and walked inside.  Great indoor atmosphere with tables filled, and a bar to sit at.  Typical Texas country barbecue atmosphere, collection of pictures, license plates and business cards on wooden walls, but only a faint wisp of the smell of smoke.  Looked like a mix of locals and travelers.  As I do when trying out new bbq spots, I ordered some pork ribs, beef brisket, and sausage at the bar, and headed outside.  No sides for me this trip, those are just filler and I like to judge on the meat first, starting with just the meat and then sauced.

My food came out in a styrofoam three section to-go box, not my favorite, but hey, it's just a carrier.  The  bbq was good, not great.  The ribs and brisket were both very tender, and had good bark (particuarly the ribs), but really lacked any real smoked flavor.  Good for a fix, but not worth making a special trip or stop for.  The sausage was really good standard Texas German sausage, and I opted for the spicy.  That was alright to eat alone, but I'd recommend some sauce with the beef and ribs for flavor.  They actually did a nice sauce for Texas, standard tomato based with a heavy dose of black pepper, not to different from Rudy's if you ever been to one.

Let's see if I can figure out how to add a picture here:



Yeah, look at me...tech SAVVY!

Anyway, glad I stopped, but in the future want to try the other two in Glen Rose, and pending that, will hold on and keep driving to hit some of the spots down the road, which are much better.

Summary:

Atmosphere:  typical Texas country barbecue, indoor, outdoor and bar seats, good for families, good for a sit down bbq meal, good for the solo traveler, good for a necessary road trip stop

Food:  average barbecue, if you go, stick with ribs and sausage

Dog Friendly: yes

Crowd:  locals, travelers, and bikers

When to Go:  lunch

What to Order for the First Timer:  Sausage and ribs

No comments:

Post a Comment