Saturday, March 12, 2011

Barley House - Dallas, TX

Seventy and sunny yesterday, and the Big Ten Conference Championship was entering round two.  I decided to take this opportunity to take the dogs and meet a friend of mine for lunch, and watch a little basketball, so we settled on the Barley House.

First off, great porch!  I hadn't been there since the days when it was the Green Elephant, and they've made some significant upgrades, most notably replacing the old flimsy wire beer-leaks-on-your-legs tables with some sturdy wooden picnic tables which look like they can seat ten pretty comfortably.  Also, they've added a couple flat screens out there, visible from every table and shaded enough to reduce glare.  Best of all, dog-friendly, and mine found it very comfortable...


Fairly typical bar menu, with a few nice innovations.  Several burgers, appetizers, and sandwiches, all of which sounded pretty good.  I opted for the Texas Cheesesteak, and given the choice of fries, tater tots, or mac and cheese, I went with the latter.  We had some issues with the food delivery, which resulted in my mac and cheese coming out with my buddy's Wing Sandwich, but I solved that problem by reaching across the table and grabbing it quickly.  It was pretty good, really, more than I might have expected from a bar not known as a place to grub.  Basically just penne tossed with their queso, topped with breadcrumbs, baked in its own ramekin, and brought to your table with your friend's food.  Their queso actually works really well as a sauce here, because it's as mild as you could possibly imagine, no spice at all, and makes the dish incredibly creamy.


My Texas Cheesesteak came out a little bit later, an wasn't at all what I expected (they had me at Texas Cheesesteak so I pretty much never read the ingredients).  The no frills presentation in a basket on a piece of foil contained what was the spitting image of an Arby's Beef & Cheddar.  You can imagine my excitement.  (Seriously, I love the ABC.)

So this sandwich was pitched as roast beef topped with sauteed onions, queso, and a horseradish bbq sauce on an onion bun.  This thing was so close to being great, but I think the horseradish bbq sauce was it's ultimate downfall.  First, it was abundant, having been tossed with the roast beef before being put on the bun.  Second, it was just a pretty harsh flavor which overpowered the entire sandwich, not pungent like a vinegar based sauce at all, just...big.  This sandwich needed either a mild tang or something sweet. If I was back in the kitchen, I'd rename it the ABC, axe the horsey bbq, and serve it with a side of Open Pit Original bbq sauce, that's right, Arby's Sauce.  Other than the sauce, the sandwich was great.  Soft bun, tender roast beef, that same mild melty queso that was in the mac, and sauteed onions with an unnamed superstar mixed in, sauteed jalapenos.


 So, what do we think?

Well, I'd go back for sure on a nice day with the dogs to watch a game outside.  The place was barren when I was there, but given proximity to campus, I would guess this place gets a good mix of students and people in the 20-30 range.  Place with a good porch and a good vibe, and I think you can find something decent to eat, but I wouldn't say go there for the food.

Summary

Atmosphere:  neighborhood bar, great porch with tvs outside and large tables, good for groups, good for happy hour, good for lunch on a nice day, good for watching the game, good for taking the dogs, good for meeting people

Food:  decent innovated bar food

Dog Friendly:  yep

When to Go:  lunch or happy hour on a nice day

Crowd:  no one there when I was there, but I'd guess students and 20and30somethings, beer lovers

What to Order for the First Timer:  not sure, but I'd probably try a burger

No comments:

Post a Comment