Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Be More Pacific - Austin, TX

Stop two on Wednesday's walking tour, Be More Pacific.




0 for 2.

But at least this one was cheap, until I saw how much food I got for my $3.  I've never seen this trailer before, so don't know if it's been around or if it just rolled in from the Philippines for SXSW, but I got excited when I looked at the menu and read about Longanisa ,"THE national sausage of the Philippines...made from scratch with a secret blend of spices, garlic, pineapple and brown sugar.  On a slider?  With tomato, cilantro, a cilantro ranch sauce on a toasted Hawaiian roll?  Hell yes I'll have one.


I knew what I was getting into for the price with one slider, being a small burger and all.  But what can you say about a sandwich on which the largest thing is an unripe tomato?  Seriously, a flavorless, crunchy tomato nearly overpowered this dish.  NEARLY though, because the sweetness of the sausage and the bread is what really overpowered it, and the cilantro, which I love, just didn't go with it.  After the first bite I took the tomato off and it was better.  The sausage was lean with generous chunks of garlic in it, but the sweet was just to much, it needed something bitter or salty as an offset.

Not nearly as bad as my last stop, but I'm not even sure I'd want something as sweet as this as a last resort late night food.  The plantain chips were good, and the lady running the place very friendly, but I don't think I'll be stopping here again.

Summary

Atmosphere:  food truck, no seating

Food:  Philippino

Dog Friendly:  yeah, if sidewalks are

When to Go:  middle of the day if hunger pains are killing you

 Crowd:  randoms

What to Order for the First Timer:  don't know, maybe the rice with bacon in it?

No comments:

Post a Comment