Sunday, March 13, 2011

Maiko...er, make it Haddingtons...well, maybe just a pizza - Austin, TX

Back in Austin, and thought we'd try to be somewhat healthy.

Grade:  F

Started out with a walk down 6th Street in an effort to make it to Maiko for some $2.50 hot sake and some sushi...but never made it past Haddington's.

Noticed two seats at the bar open in Haddington's so stopped in for an appetizer and MLWMG's new favorite drink, the Vieux Carre (I know I didn't spell that right).

She ordered just that, and I gave their duck fat sazerac a go, and we decided to split some toast pots, the white bean and garlic and the duck liver mousse.  Both great, as usual, though I feel like the white bean could use slightly more of a garlic pop, still though, I'm not complaining.  Both served with perfectly char-grilled toast.

Here's where things went awry.  As we decided that would be it for food at Haddington's, with the intent to continue on up to Maiko and get something small and another drink, we got in a conversation with the guy next to us and our bartender Tara about different liquors and the cocktails on the menu.  I decided that I needed to try what our next door neighbor at the bar was having, the Conundrum, which is perfect blend of three perfectly abnormal ingredients...blue corn whiskey, sloe gin, and fernet branca.  Fernet branca, which I've had before, just never blended with other liquors, is quite easily the most unique tasting liquor you have or haven't tried.  My wife is not mistaken when she calls it "grandma perfume".  If you don't like it or appreciate it, you won't like this drink, as it tends to overpower, but this one ended up an excellent blend of sweet, bitter and Chanel No. 5, which was as unique a drink as I've had, and good, but i'm not sure if I'll get it again given the bartenders' talent for cocktails.

As I finished that, and MLWMG started another VC, I asked Tara about another drink on the menu, a Dirty Moustache, a blend of mezcal, something else, lime and orange bitters.  Fresh off a conversation about how we both enjoyed bitter drinks, she told me she thought it would be a little sweet for my taste and instead said, "try this".

What she gave me was incredible.  She invented it, and calls it the Smoking Dragon.  One part mezcal, one part Antica, one part I'm going to keep secret for her, and bitters with an orange twist.  Unreal.  A sweet, smoky, bitter concoction that I'll be ordering again and again.

After three cocktails apiece, we decided sushi wasn't in the cards, and instead decided to head back to the house and hang out with the dogs, ordering a pizza on the way, which will be the next review...

Another win for Haddington's.


Summary:

Atmosphere - good place for the solo traveler, good place to belly up, good place to go with a group, good place to take a date, good place to meet after work, good place to meet new people, no tvs

Food - Excellent, Upscale English

Time to Go - happy hour, for dinner, or after dinner for drinks

Crowd - primarily 20somethings and 30somethings, groups of dressed up girls, groups of dressed up guys, mixed groups, attractive affluents, hotchicks

What to Order if You're a First Timer - Foie Gras Link, Duck Meatloaf, Fish & Chips, Duck Liver Mousse Toast Pot

Dog Friendly - most likely not despite outdoor area which you have to go inside first to get to

No comments:

Post a Comment