Sunday, March 20, 2011

Rounders Pizza - Austin, TX

Alright, my second Rounders experience, which included different toppings and popping inside has solidified it as one of my go-to pizza joints.  It's good.  As follow up to my last review of this place, I just want to tell you to not be bashful about ordering more than you may be able to eat, because this pizza reheats incredibly in the oven, with a crust that has the crunch and sturdiness of one fresh out of the pizza oven.

So this time I decided rather than get delivery, I'd go over there and pick it up so I could check the place out, since I'd seen the outside seating, but had no idea what the inside held.  Well it was more than I expected, with the only bit of bad news being that there wasn't a bar to sit at, which would make this place perfect.  Now, as to what it does have.  Donkey Kong, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, on the left as you walk in the door.  Hell I nearly didn't make it past all this, and the only thing that saved my pizza from sitting for hours was my limited supply of quarters.  The place is nice inside and reminds me a little bit of a pizza joint of old.  Small, choppy rooms, with black walls and low lighting, and several beers on tap.  It also has several well positioned and large flat screens which on this day were garnering the attention of a few Kentucky fans.

As I mentioned, I opted for different toppings this time, going with pepperoni, jalapenos, and banana peppers.  To my pleasant surprise, the jalapenos were fresh, and not pickled, which actually paired really well with the pickled banana peppers.  Pepperoni was great, and the toppings in general were plentiful.  The crust didn't disappoint...again this is what I'll call a classic American crust, similar in thickness to a standard Papa Johns crust, but much better done with a nice crunch on every bite.  I'll be back to this place again and again, both there and take out.  I worry this place, several blocks west of Lamar on 6th, suffers from a locational problem, as it becomes a destination spot as opposed to a stop in spot, but I urge you to give it a shot and particularly use it for carry out and delivery over the chains, as you would Home Slice or any of the other good local spots around town.  The crust here holds up better on the go than any place around.


Summary

Atmosphere:  pizza joint, outdoor seating but no bar seating, though plenty of big screens inside, good for groups, good for families, good for catching the game, good for a date

Food:  classic American pizza

Dog Friendly:  yes, outside

When to Go:  carry out, delivery, dinner

Crowd:  mixed

What to Order for the First Timer:  pizza with jalapenos and whatever else you want

No comments:

Post a Comment