Thursday, March 3, 2011

Fricano's Deli - Austin, TX

Fricano's Deli is the quintessential hole in the wall deli, which I've heard really good things about, and which I've driven by, but a place I'd never eaten at until today.

Just by the look of it, I had very high hopes, and upon walking in, I was not at all disappointed by the atmosphere.  It's a small storefront with a door and a window which opens into a tiny, cramped room with a counter featuring four stools and five small tables with not quite enough chairs to hold any more than ten people.  Being next to campus, the place was packed with college students and the line was about six deep when I rolled in, with another four or five people standing around waiting for their orders to go.

This is a good place to go for lunch, even if you're by yourself, but not with too many people, as more than two will require you to find a couple of empty tables (of only five) and pull them together, or get the one table outside, which lacks atmosphere and puts you at risk of being hit by a parking car.


The menu is on a big board behind the counter and is peppered with creations, some of which you could tell what was contained in the sandwiches, and some of which gave zero indication of what they are.  That's alright though, it indicates to me a loyal customer base who know what they want, and even if they don't, they have the utmost faith in the staff to make them something good, as I saw several people ordering and receiving The Ainsworth, which is described as "leave it to us and our intuitions to create a masterful sandwich using the best ingredients of the day".  In addition to this board, there is a whiteboard on the same wall highlighting the special sandwich of the day as well as two soups of the day.

At my turn at the register, I simply asked, "what's the best thing on the menu" and without hesitation was told, Paul's Spicy Reuben.  Being a reuben lover, and a fan of spice, it was a no brainer, and I told him I'd take one to go (despite my fear of the ten minute drive home making the sandwich a soggy mess, which thankfully was not the case, though I'd say that it's probably a sandwich that does better there.

After ordering, I noticed a small batch of laminated menus next to the register, so while I waited I was able to look at what it was that made my reuben spicy, and also check out what some of the sandwiches like The Jonah and The Will da'Beast were (and they sound great).   My reuben, which was corned beef with sauerkraut, pepperjack cheese, pepperocinis, red onion, and Rocket Sauce on grilled rye bread was good, but lacked the punch I hoped it would have.  The size of the sandwich and the quality ingredients were very good, but the pepperjack was as mild as it could be, and the pepperocinis (of the greek salad variety) were sparse.  The Rocket Sauce, from the best I could tell, was a horseradish/deli mustard blended with something to cut the intensity of it, and was used sparingly.  That said, it was a good sandwich and I hold out hope for some of their other sandwiches being home runs, and I plan on going back and trying a few.


Next time I plan on ordering Jamilio's Italian Cheesesteak, made with hot pastrami and mozzarella, and at some point I'm going to have to honor my Grandpa Tony, and fork over $25 for Grandpa Tony's All-In, which is a gut busting sandwich containing everything in the place, including every homemade spread they've got.  That may just be my last blog, and not by choice but by medical necessity.

Summary

Atmosphere:  Chicago style hole in the wall deli, good for meeting someone for lunch, good if you're flying solo, good for carry out

Food:  innovative hot and cold deli sandwiches made with Boar's Head meats, hot dogs, soups and salads

Dog Friendly:  if you snag the table outside

When to Go:  lunch

Crowd:  students

What to Order for the First Timer:  TBD


http://www.fricanosdeli.com/FricanosMenuFall2010.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment