Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Best Wurst - Austin, TX

This was just ill-advised.

After striking out terribly on two pitches, I decided to give Best Wurst a go on my walk back.  I have very fond, albeit hazy memories of this place back in school after the bars on 6th Street, and frankly, it's not bad at all, I just (a) wasn't hammered today, (b) wasn't craving a bratwurst, and (c) wasn't really all that hungry.


Today I let the thought of having this during the day and the smell of the place lure me in, and I just shouldn't have.  Really, it smells awesome, and at the right time, it is, because they are good sausages.

Just four choices with the headliners being the German Bratwurst and the Smoked Pork Italian, I opted for the latter.  Good sausage, not as much heat as I would have hoped given their advertising of it having some cayenne in it, but it was good.  I got it with grilled onions, which were very well done (as in good, not overcooked), but opted for no sauerkraut, since we were venturing to the Italian side of things and not Germany, and since I could see it was straight out of the can with no additional seasonings.  They offer two sauces, brown mustard and curry ketchup, both good in their own right, but both of which seem a bit odd to be paired with an Italian sausage.  Probably a novelty for those stumbling out of bars late at night to get their hands on.  Still though, it was good.  The sausage had good flavor and a nice snap, the bun was sturdy but not tough, and onions were great.

I'll likely be back sometime when I'm down that way, but be advised to just make sure you're feeling it before you stop.  Next time I'm going to get the brat with onions, kraut and mustard only.

Summary

Atmosphere:  food cart, no seating

Food:  bratwurst, sausages

Dog Friendly:  yes

When to Go:  late, or lunch if you're craving a brat

Crowd:  drunk college students, musicgoers

What to Order for the First Timer:  German Bratwurst

No comments:

Post a Comment