Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Portabla - Austin, TX

I like my sandwich shops down and dirty.  Generally.

Portabla is certainly not that, but puts out some great sandwiches.  I'm a big fan of having this in the neighborhood.

This place comes off as a somewhat froofroo (froofru, frufru, separated?) place, which has the look of (and I'm not sexist by any means I promise you that) a rather girly place which is a catering operation cranking out counter food.


See?  Salads in plastic.

BUT, I'll go there anytime, because they really know what they're doing as far as sandwiches go, which is all I've had, and I think the real secret is the bread.  It's fantastic.

I've had two sandwiches here, the Italian Panini, and the hot All-Natural Roast Beef Panini.  I know I generally avoid paninis around these parts, having indicated before my hatred for Atdoh (Any Tom, Dick or Harry) buying a Foreman and opening up a shop.  Truth is, the paninis that Tom, Dick and Harry make are most of the time nothing more than a sandwich you'd make, on regular sliced bread, heated and pressed, but Mr. Portabla does it right, and I'll vouch for his paninis any day.

Today's Roast Beef Panini was a very well proportioned mix of roast beef, roasted tomato, cheddar, pepperocinis and red onion on fresh ciabatta bread.  The bread came out with a perfect crunchy and the insides warm and covered with melted cheddar.  The flavors of the condiments worked very well, and their texture held despite the sandwich being cooked.


Yeah, look at that!

The Italian Sub I had previously was also great.  Same great bread, cooked perfectly, with incredible flavor coming from salami, ham, cappocolla, basil pesto, roasted peppers, roasted tomatoes, provolone, pepperocini and artichoke hearts.

This is a great spot to meet someone for lunch during the week, or to pick up a sandwich to go.  The carry doesn't diminish the quality of the sandwich in the least.

Summary

Atmosphere:  fancy deli, lots of two tops, quaint, good spot to meet for lunch or to pick up food to go, no bar

Food:  sandwiches, paninis and more

Dog Friendly:  yes, a few tables outside

When to Go:  lunch

Crowd:  girls, women, businessmen

What to Order for the First Timer:  Italian Panini

No comments:

Post a Comment