Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ruby's BBQ - Austin, TX

Had a friend email me last night asking for a bbq recommendation down in Austin, not to far of a drive like the Lockhart, Taylor and Driftwood spots, but also not downtown since the city is likely to be busier (read also:  parking is a beeotch) with South by Southwest having kicked off.

Answer, Ruby's.  Not to be confused with the I'm-not-quite-a-gas-station-not-quite-a-bbq-joint local chain, Rudy's (the incorrectly self-proclaimed Worst BBQ in Texas), this is a solo shack up near the UT campus, which I had not stopped by until a few months ago, and was pleasantly surprised to find it's actually a great spot for barbecue...close, and with parking.



Since it's been a while since I've been there, I'll tell you what I remember.  First, it's not a central Texas style old bbq place with the smoke saturated walls and employees, and the sasquatch sized coffin pits, but it's got an old bbq feel to it inside, and is a place where you walk in and order at the counter, then sit down and wait for your food.  I remember loving the sausage and the sauce, and the brisket being lean and dense, which isn't my perfect cup of brisket tea, but is good nonetheless and had great flavor and a nice black crust.  The sauce has some real kick, spicy, which makes its presence on the beef a perfect match.  My friend went there, and supplied me with a picture of his meal, which I'll share with y'all (Texan for You All) here.  Don't mind the light beer that's pictured, clearly my friend doesn't share my motto of life being too short for light beer.


Haven't followed up but am quite sure he enjoyed it, and frankly I'm looking forward to getting back there again soon.

Summary

Atmosphere:  in-town Texas bbq, good for groups, good for lunch, good for a casual dinner and a beer with friends, no bar to sit at that I can remember, but I could be wrong

Food:  barbecue

Dog Friendly:  no

When to Go:  lunch, dinner

Crowd:  students, city folk

What to Get for the First Timer:  sample brisket, ribs, and sausage, and get some of that sauce

2 comments:

  1. This is your light beer swillin' friend, and here's my review:

    Upon your favorite bloggers recommendation, I picked my butt off the couch before Texas lost to Kansas, and we went to get us some BBQ. I was hungry, real hungry.

    As you can see, I went with the 1/3 lb. brisket plate and two sides (BBQ jalapeno beans and corn on the cob). She went with the baby back ribs, cole slaw and potato salad.

    When you are real hungry, you don't like to wait. Waiting usually isn't associated with BBQ, as the meat has been cooking for days. Yet it took about 30 minutes to get our food. The food was incredible, though. Interestingly, as one Yelper (yes, I Yelp'd the place before going) described, the sauce actually tastes a little like an asian teriyaki sauch. The beans were very spicy. I liked them both. The brisket was perfect, and not very fatty. The baby backs were incredible. I didn't mess with the potato salad. I did like the slaw, which was loaded with more pepper than a 1950's baseball diamond.

    Definitely will be headed back. Would have loved the place if they'd served Coors Light, but we can't win them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bud light/Coors light? Im not even sure those two should be called beer, but to each their own, right?

    I cant imagine eating Ruby's and not getting the RC cola on tap, or a Shiner, or both!!!

    ReplyDelete